Biblical Confusion
Have you ever sat in on a discussion about something that seemingly everyone else understands, but that you cannot quite grasp?
Recently, I listened as some people discussed a "hot button" church issue. The three individuals used references from the Bible in making their cases. One reference I understand, but the other reference left me puzzled. I listened as one individual made his case based from these biblical verses. As he spoke, I read the verses again. What I found was that the verses do not say what he says they mean.
This is my problem with taking stands on issues where the Bible does not clearly delineate a position. This individual used "reasoning" and "common sense" to make his case. Certainly, these methods can be used to better get a grasp on a passage, but these methods CANNOT be used to make a definitive statement.
I have attended "church" my entire life. I even have a graduate degree from a seminary, but this recent discussion left me confused and deeply troubled. As I read the verses again this morning the thought returned: they do not say what was argued that they say.
I realize that the "issue" is one that involves conscience, and there are Scriptural imperatives about "going against one's conscience." But to argue that Scripture says something it does not under the pretense of "I just felt like I had to say this" does not gel with me. How can someone declare an action unbiblical if the Bible itself does not declare it unbiblical?
Until we learn not to do this, we will continue to see division among Christ-followers.
Reasoning is fine. Logic is helpful. But as the old hymn says,"Give me the Bible".
I don't need someone else to fill in the space between the print.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home