Why I Love the Airline Drive Church of Christ, #8
When my family and I moved to the South about 14 years ago our minds were full of images of confederate flags, 4-wheel drive trucks, boats in yards, and alligators. Those things all exist, but we have found that the South is defined by more beautiful things: sunsets over lakes, community spirit, a willingness of people to help each other out, good football, good food, good music, and good churches. Earlier this year I witnessed something at church that captured my heart. The scene was weekly communion. Sitting in front of my family was an older black woman who has attended Airline for more than 20 years. Next to her was a middle-aged white man born and raised in the South. To see two individuals that have come from drastically different ways of life was beautiful in itself. But the beautiful masterpiece was not finished yet. I saw a young hispanic man hand the tray holding the bread for the communion to the white man sitting on the end of the pew. He took it and held it out for the black woman, so they could take communion together. Black. Hispanic. White. All together in Christ. Yet another reason I love the Airline Drive Church of Christ.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home