Call Me Israel
Throughout the years when I have read through the writings of the Old Testament prophets two things have happened:
1) I have been comforted
2) I have been convicted
One is a pleasant feeling while the other sits in the bottom of your stomach and makes you feel miserable. Such is the nature of the prophets: hope found on one page only to be followed by a declaration of sin and punishment on the next.
I am not sure if reading the prophets is healthy, but it is consuming. Consider these words from the book of Jeremiah:
"Therefore, go and give this message to Israel. This is what the Lord says, 'O Israel, my faithless people, come home to me again, for I am merciful. I will not be angry with you forever. Only acknowledge your guilt. Admit that you rebelled against the Lord your God and committed adultery against him by worshiping idols under every green tree. Confess that you refused to listen to my voice. I, the Lord, have spoken'" (Jeremiah 3:12-13).
About a decade ago a band called The Waiting recorded a song entitled, "Call me Israel."
I think I understand the point now.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home