Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Solomon's Surprising Sadness

Solomon's indulgence led him to discover a reality he had not envisioned. Here are his words:

"And all that my eyes desired
I did not refuse them.

I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure
For my heart was pleased because of all my labor
And this was my reward for all my labor.

Thus I considered all my activities
Which my hands had done
And the labor which I had exerted
And behold all was vanity and striving after wind
And there was no profit under the sun.

So I hated life
For the work which had been done under the sun
Was grievous to me
Because everything is futility
And striving after wind."


-- Solomon's surprising discovery (Ecclesiastes 2:10-11, 17)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This passage is beyond where I am in my life right now, but not far beyond. The Dave Ramsey Financial Peace class has caused me to realize exactly what I have used my money and time for these last 15 or so years, vanity and nothingness. I am beginning to hate many of the things that I have bought and I wish they would just go away, because I am ashamed to have them. I am eager to rid myself and my life of stuff and focus on the real, lasting aspects of life. Remember, every rose has its thorn.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 at 10:00:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Ben said...

Dude,

Great comments, but you killed me by quoting that poison song again!

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 at 11:14:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home