Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Deceived

"O Lord, you deceived me, and I was deceived;
You overpowered me and prevailed.
I am ridiculed all day long;
Everyone mocks me.

Whenever I speak, I cry out
Proclaiming violence and destruction.

So the word of the Lord has brought me
Insult and reproach all day long.

But if I say, 'I will not mention him
Or speak any more in his name,'
His word is in my heart like a fire,
A fire shut up in my bones.

I am weary of holding it in;
Indeed, I cannot.

I hear many whispering,
'Terror on every side!
Report him! Let's report him!'
All my friends are waiting for me to slip, saying,
'Perhaps he will be deceived;
Then we will overpower him
And take our revenge on him.'"


-- the second complaint of the prophet Jeremiah (Jeremiah 20:7-10)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home