Monday, April 02, 2007

Resisting the Call

When God calls a person into service, the experience is not necessarily one of joy and excitement. Consider the case of Moses. God calls him, but Moses initially resists the call, thinking that God has made a mistake in choosing him.

Here are some of the excuses Moses offers:

1)"Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?" (Exodus 3:11)

2) "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?" (Exodus 3:13)

3) "What if they do not believe me or listen to me and say, 'The Lord did not appear to you'?" (Exxodus 4:1)

4) "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue." (Exodus 4:10)

5) "O Lord, please send someone else to do it." (Exodus 4:13)


So, if God is calling you into service, what is your excuse?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Resisting, I'm still working on Hearing.
I just wish I had a clue what I was supposed to do.
If I were on the “Wizard of Oz,” my song would have been, “If I Only had a Clue.”
So my prayer is to God, “Push Me, Pull Me, Drag Me, Kick Me in the right direction, but don't let me go off the path.”
I have heard stories of people who silence themselves form TV, Radio, and all other forms of noise. They stay in constant prayer, and they “heard form God.” Someday, I would also like to do a time in silence, praying and fasting. Maybe then, things would become more clear for me.
Sol ;)

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 at 3:17:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go to the Trappist Monastery in Snowmass, Colorado. You can find it and info on the internet if you seach for that. Mika is the contact. You can go for a week and have lots of silence, prayer and fasting.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 at 10:04:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home