More Recommended Reads


I know that I said there would be further comments posted about "corporate" worship, and that will happen in the near future. However, here are two books that I recently finished reading and highly recommend:
1) The Innocent Man by John Grisham -- a powerful "true" story about what happens when those who pledge to uphold the law pervert the law. Sometimes, as this book reveals, innocent people are sent to prison and even in some cases put to death. Grisham's research is impressive. This is a sobering, but a good read. Thank you to my daughter for giving me this book.
2) Flags of our Fathers by James Bradley with Ron Powers --In a word, "WOW!" When my son gave me this book I was somewhat puzzled since I have never read a book centered around a "military theme" or a battle. However, this book quickly drew me in and refused to let go until the last page. It is a tale of sacrifice and loyalty. I will never be able to look at the United States flag the same again. The book also presented an America that is different from the one in which I live. These men (mostly teen boys and men in their early 20s) fought for a country which passionately supported them (evidenced by the billions of dollars raised by the purchase of war bonds). They seemed to be fighting for a noble cause and it was evident. This is an engaging and emotional read. Thanks to my son for giving me this book.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home