A Worthy Fight
The middle school I attended was primarily white. There were a few black students, but those students were few and far between. Usually, race was not a big problem. Middle school students found many other things to pick at each other about. Yet one day I remember when racism reared its head. On that day I did something I had never done before.
The scene was the locker room following basketball practice. All the guys were white, except for Randall who was black. Up to this day I had never heard any racial overtones. Yet in one brief moment racism exploded in that locker room.
For some reason, one of the other guys began picking at Randall. At first it was "typical middle school stuff," but then it morphed into racial epithets. Randall was mainly silent, only asking that the person stop. Instead of stopping, the person grew louder and more beligerent. Finally, Randall grabbed him and threw him against the wall. That action caused the rest of the guys to freeze. Now we had a team divided. I quickly decided to stand by Randall, and though I am not prone to violence, physically removed the teammate who had made the racial slurs. As he "exited" the locker room, he called me a "n_______ - lover."
In that moment I was incensed at the comments directed toward Randall. No one -- regardless of race -- should ever endure such verbal abuse. Despite our differences, there is a common bond that ties us together as humans. I think it was the former preacher Marshall Keeble who said, "If I miss you in Christ, I'll get you in Adam."
The way we view people reveals alot about what is going on inside of our minds and hearts. We can choose to respect people and treat them in a "Christ-like manner" or we can trample them underfoot in a complete "un-Christlike manner."
People have come throughout history who have steered us to higher ground. People have fought noble fights against extraordinary odds. Of course, every single historical figure has his skeletons in the closet (pick one, and we can quickly discuss his/her moral failings), but those failings do not negate the worthiness of their noble battles.
The battle against racism is one that involves all of us, regardless of our particular race. As I read through the Bible, it becomes evident that God is angered whenever people are treated poorly. And He is angered even more when His people do nothing. If Christ-followers will not stand on the frontlines in this battle, then who will?
If Christ-followers do not take the lead, what hope do we have?
Be at peace, Randall. I have not forgotten.

1 Comments:
Well said, my son.
Post a Comment
<< Home