Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Cost of Honoring God

Tonight at the Bible study group which my wife and I attend, the group leader asked each person this question: "what is something that makes you feel uncomfortable that you can do to honor God?"

I listened to various responses before the group leader looked at me and said, "your turn." The question is a good one because in my experience most Christ-followers do not do anything to honor God that makes them uncomfortable. Some assert that there is nothing about their faith or their actions that make them uncomfortable. I think that response is a smokescreen that points to an unwillingness to pursue a deeper faith.

On the other hand, there are those who state that there are things they know they could do which would honor God, but which make them feel uncomfortable. I find these answers more honest. One person in the group shared how he does not know his neighbors. He mentioned that the thought of going next door causes him stress. Another person mentioned that she often procrastinates. She knows things she can do that will please God, but she puts them off.

As we discussed the inevitable feelings of discomfort when one completely submits to God, we discovered a common theme. The reason we don't do these things is not because we cannot or because God does not give us the power. On the contrary, the reason is because we choose not to do these things.

It is ironic that God blesses us with talents, abilities, financial resources, etc. and we say "thank you" by giving him the left-overs. From excuses like "I'm too busy," to "I don't have the money to spare," we shortchange God. The sad thing is we do this while asking God for more blessings.

Today following the Sunday morning worship assembly at the church I attend, a man approached me and asked to talk for a few minutes. I have known this man for several years and know that he does not have very much in terms of financial assets and possessions. In fact, he struggles to get by. But, as he told me, he has worked at a new job for two weeks and things are going well. He told me he has continued to tithe every Sunday, but he wanted to give a "first-fruits" offering. He sees his new job as a gift from God, even though he is only getting about 20 hours a week. He wanted to honor God and to say "thank you." As he told me this, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a bunch of folded bills. He said, "This is one week's paycheck. I want to give this to the church." I asked him, "Are you sure you can afford to do this?" He nodded his head and said, "God always provides for me. I would do anything for God, and I want to give this money."

In that moment I witnessed a biblical story come to life. On one occasion, Jesus, while watching people give their financial offerings at the temple noticed a poor widow who gave all she had. The amount was not as much as some others. Yet, because she gave all she had, her gift was far greater than other contributions made that day. Jesus said, "The plain truth is that this widow has given by far the largest offering today. All these others made offerings that they'll never miss; she gave extravagantly what she couldn't afford -- she gave her all!" (Luke 21:3-4)

Thank you God, for such a glimpse into the heart of someone who truly desires to honor you, and is willing to count the cost. Increase my faith so that I might do the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home