Still Sitting?
Last night I watched the opening night of the Democratic National Convention. Politics has become a sore subject for me these days (I feel like a person who does not identify completely with any party), but since I am officially undecided on whom I will vote for in November I wanted to listen to the speeches presented, particularly Michelle Obama's opening night address.
Michelle Obama impressed me. She is obviously an intelligent woman who is an articulate speaker. But that is not what impressed me the most. I really appreciated learning about her childhood. She was blessed to have a mom and dad who loved her and taught her some very important ideals like the value of hard work and integrity.
Her line about "not seeing the world as it is, but seeing the world as it should be" resonated with me. Too often when we face situations that need to be changed we succumb to the erroneous belief which says "that's the way it is." Instead, we should climb greater heights by working for the way things should be.
I find this correlation in the church. Despite teaching about the ministry of Jesus, few of us emulate it in our lives. Instead, we substitute "correctness" on doctrine for ministries of compassion.
Doctrine is important, but it is not meant to keep us from ministries of mercy. Much time is spent wrangling over religious issues. We argue over worship, women's roles, salvation, and support of para-church ministries. Of course these are all important, but sitting around and arguing does not feed the hungry or provide for the homeless, or help rebuild marriages and and strengthen families.
In Mark 2 there is a story about four guys who bring a friend to Jesus. I think the church should be like these four guys. Someone needs help? The church helps. The church rolls up its sleeves and gets active. Instead of always trying to provide answers, the church simply decides to bring people to Jesus.
These four guys took an active role in helping their friend. Their compassion is marked by their action: they "carried" their friend; they "dug a hole through the roof;" and they "lowered the man on his mat right down in front of Jesus." (Mark 2:3-4). Notice Jesus' response: "Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralyzed man, 'My child, your sins are forgiven.'" (Mark 2:5)
Wow! Because of his friends' faith, the man receives salvation!
On the other hand, here is what the religious leaders were doing. "But some of the teachers of the law who sitting there thought to themselves ..." (Mark 2:6). Did you catch what they were doing? NOTHING. They were "sitting."
The church has sat long enough.
One group acts like Jesus, the other just tries to look religious.
I am going to be part of a church that resembles the four friends rather than a group of religious leaders who can't agree on much of anything. To be a part of such a church means that I need to better emulate the ministry of Jesus in my own life. Don't fall into the trap of waiting for other people to do something. Don't make the excuse that you can't do anything unless the church leaders do it. You begin to make a difference, and choose to begin today!
Labels: church

1 Comments:
We always talk about the heroic efforts of the 4 friends, but I think the crowd is a striking feature of the story.
I have often thought of the Mark 2 story as a good example of 'corporate' or 'collective' sin.
Each individual in and around the house was not necessarily doing anything wrong themselves. They were focused on Jesus. What could be wrong with that? And yet collectively, they were preventing someone in need from reaching Jesus.
The problem was not individual but systemic. The situation of a large group meeting in a small house unintentionally created an environment that prevented 'outsiders', in the absence of heroic effort, from being touched by Jesus.
I wonder if the very nature of our meeting habits have the same unintentional effect. Does our system of doing church have the unintentional effect of narrowing our attention toward Jesus and away from those in need around us?
"Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace."
Maybe that's our problem.
Post a Comment
<< Home