Thursday, April 10, 2008

Discernment

Most people have heard that decisions in life are "black and white." In essence, there are right decisions and there are wrong decisions.

When, though, is something always wrong? (don't worry, there are some things that are always wrong, but that is a subject for another blog)

Is murder always wrong? The Bible contains a prohibition against taking another person’s life. However, the pages of the Old Testament are littered with the dead bodies of people slain by God’s people at His command. Sometimes it is easy to get distracted on this point, but it it important to remember that the Old Testament government was a theocracy and that God’s seemingly vicious commands had a spiritual aspect to them. I know, it sounds crazy.

Anyway, back to the point -- what if someone breaks into your house and threatens your family? In the course of events, you kill the intruder. Have you sinned?

This is where the rub comes in. Is killing in the name of self-defense a defensible excuse for killing?

In a word, no.

Is it sometimes necessary?

In a word, yes.

Not everything in life is a "black or white" issue.

Think about how this plays out in church. We take something like "corporate worship" (a term not used in the Bible, but I prefer it to "church service"). We attempt to establish and maintain practices that we believe are a matter of command. Yet, the only command we have from Jesus on the subject is that we are to "worship in spirit and truth." So we run to the apostle Paul who tells us to "sing and make music in our hearts." And? Or we skip over to instructions that remind us to do everything in a "decent and orderly manner." Okaaaaaaaaay?

Suddenly, we realize that there may be some gray in what we originally thought was a black and white issue. What we often do is take these generally worded statements and attempt to construct iron-clad commands and practices.

I think there is a term for such action -- adding to the Bible.

Interpretation is about merging our beliefs and lives with the Bible. It is never about bending the Bible to make it say more than it does.

By the way, the next time you speed in the event of an emergency, are you breaking the law?

What happens when we break a law for a greater good?

Gray skies today.

Enjoy the wrestling match.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH BOY! I have missed your blog, I've been a little busy. Excuse me while I crack my knuckles and pull out my spunk, as I prepare to engage. I know I have probably beat this in the ground, but I hold very firm to the John 1:1 and Hebrews 13:8. Those two establish Jesus as God and that He is the same yesterday, today and forever. So when we (man) were told reasons for actually taking a life in the OT, Jesus did not need to reiterate what He had already explained. Also, Matthew 5:17-18.
I know He focused on forgiveness in the NT, but when it comes to defense (self or national) or punishment, I think we should stick with the OT way.
Also, keep up good posts on thinking topics, you know I don't know anything about family or sports.
See ya ;)..

Thursday, April 17, 2008 at 5:40:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Ben said...

It is interesting that in the taking of lives, the Israelites consecrated those lives to God. I confess, this is a tough one for me to swallow, but the people whom they waged war against were not innocent. The Bible describes the depths of their wickedness. This is important in understanding why God commanded what He did.

I still prefer the NT way. God is still God -- past, present, future. Jesus did not come "to abolish the law, but to fulfill it." Somehow forgiveness of those who wrong us helps to "fulfill the law." Quite extraordinary actually.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 at 8:26:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home