Thursday, December 15, 2005

Foolish Speculations

Kurt Cobain's declaration of "all alone is all we are" preceded the performer's own existence and will continue to flow from the mouths of others (atheists, agnostics, searchers?) for the rest of time.

How does a person reach the conclusion that "all alone is all we are?" Recently, in talking to someone who has become quite disillusioned with the "church scene," I have come across Cobain's sentiment.

Although my mind lacks the scientific aptitude to mathematically prove the existence of God, I have always lived with the belief that God does exist. However, in the eyes of my aforementioned acquaintance, he questions this belief based on what he sees (personal experience). In his "church scene" he sees a lot of people who have the "church lingo" down, but very little transformation takes place. He sees people who say that "Jesus is everything" then live their lives based on the belief that "self is everything." He hears people talk about sharing their faith, then watches them compartentalize God (like so many people do). You know the rhetoric:

"I believe in God.
"Yeah, man, me too."
"You go to church?"
"No, but I believe in God."
"You study the Bible any?"
"No, but I believe in God."
"Do you pray often?"
"No, but I believe in God."

It is almost like here in America it is kosher to believe in God, but imperative not to let that belief actually change your life. Add to that the rampant gossip that oozes from most religious establishments, along with the same politics we see at our workplaces and in our government, and I can see why my friend has become jaded.

He sees Christians who have no problem lying and cheating, along with other religious people who have long thrown discretion out the window when it comes to entertainment choices, and he has come to believe that the greatest proof of the existence of God is whether or not followers of this God are actually transformed. In his mind, followers of God are just like everyone else and this absence of God-transformation leads him to question God's existence.

I tried to persuade him that there are people sold-out to God, but he is unconvinced. It is not the hypocrisy he sees as much as the audacity of Christians to claim to live for Jesus, while engaging in rampant self-promotion (maybe we define hypocrisy too narrowly).

Of course, from a theological and philosophical point of view, God's existence is not based on the response of his creation to himself, just as his love is not based on our ability to love. However, one thing I have learned in ministry is that when people are hurting and disillusioned, the best logic and rational reasoning do little to help.

Maybe the words of Rich Mullins are fitting for my friend:
Let mercy lead; let love be the strength in your legs
and in every footprint that you leave, there'll be a drop of grace
If we can reach beyond the wisdom of this age into the foolishness of God
That foolishness will save those who believe
Although their foolish hearts may break they will find peace
And I'll meet you in that place where mercy leads


Maybe it is foolishness to think there is a God. And maybe, just maybe, that foolishness is even greater than the belief that "all alone is all we are."

Who knows? At the end of our spiritual foolishness is where we may finally find God, and then authentic transformation may actually take place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home