Introspective Expression
Introspection is not always a pleasant thing.
Lately, I have been doing some heavy introspection. Looking in the mirror means asking questions about identity, happiness, vocation, family, friends, theology, philosophy and methodology, to name a few.
Who am I? This is the big one. After all, it was Socrates who coined the saying, "know thyself." Knowing who I am shapes what I do and how I live. The question of identity is primary.
What makes me happy? Maybe the first step in answering this question is to define happiness. Does my happiness ebb and flow based upon changing circumstances in my life? Is happiness that arbitrary? Or is happiness something that you possess in times of rejoicing and in times of sorrow?
What do I do? The vocation question is a good one and can be directly tied to identity and happiness. Do I rely on my job to define me (hey, what do you do? I'm a _________)? Or does my identity define my job? Which is the better way of thinking? Does my job make me happy? Or does my happiness make my job good?
How is my relationship with my family? Do my wife and children know the real me? Or do they view me as a title (e.g. husband, Dad, provider, minister, etc.)? Do I give priority to my family or just talk about doing so?
How are things with my friends? Do I surround myself with mere acquaintances or am I blessed to have a friend "who sticks closer than a brother?" Do my friends view friendship with me as valuable and something worth sustaining? Am I the kind of friend that values the needs of my friends over my needs?
Then there is theology. What do I believe? Why do I believe what I claim to believe? What is the foundation for my faith? Is it grounded firm or is it crumbling? Does my theology impact the other categories listed above or am I a victim of compartmentalization?
Theology is a cousin to philosophy and philosophy is a fancy word for life principles. Do my philosophy and theology interact? Upon what basis do I form my person philosophy? What is the danger in an ill-conceived philosophy?
And how do I put all these things together (methodology).
As you can tell this could turn into a long night. These are questions that hit us all and they are questions worthy of our careful consideration and thoughtful reflection.
While introspection is sometimes painful, it is necessary. So, to quote Bobby McFerrin (where is he now?) "don't worry, be happy."
Now go look in the mirror.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home